NAACP Duluth Branch recognizes that Starbucks around the country are having Implicit Bias training today [May 29, 2018] and commends them for doing so. By the same token, the NAACP understands that this move was a reactive response to incidents to other Starbucks in our Nation rather than a proactive response. As the old saying goes, "Better Late Than Never." There is still much work to do concerning race and culture in our Nation and these types of trainings are just the beginning to truly understand the complex and damaging dynamics of racism. We hope that this will be just the first step in Starbucks’ commitment to making sure that it is welcoming to all of its customers. The real proof of Starbucks commitment to racial justice will be evident in the coming years if examples like what occurred in Philadelphia no longer are taking place.
- Duluth to Montgomery Reflections Podcast Episode 4: Sharon Witherspoon
- Duluth Branch NAACP #4049 Election Process for 2019-2020
- Public Statement Regarding a Request for Community Forum Planning from Twin Ports Social Justice Organizations
- Soles to the Polls: A Get Out the Vote Festival
- Public statement regarding the potential Duluth City Council vote on the Duluth Police Department’s purchase of riot gear